Many parents believe that buying a popular brand name product, using a hand-me-down product that has already been “kid-tested”, or buying an expensive product means that it will be safe. However, these beliefs do not mean a product is safe.The problem is that most juvenile products in this country are NOT required to undergo safety testing before they are sold. So regardless of how popular, how new, or how expensive your product is, until there is more stringent mandatory safety testing there is no reliable way to be sure it is safe.
Today there is little mandatory safety testing. Companies can choose to meet voluntary standards, but often those voluntary standards are inadequate to test for hazardous products.
You can take action both inside and outside your home to protect children from dangerous juvenile products.
- To find out if your products meet voluntary standards click here.
- To learn more about the problems behind dangerous and recalled products click here.
- To learn more about recalled products click here.
- To learn how to protect your child from dangerous products click here.
- To learn about how to register your products click here.
- Read It’s No Accident to find out how corporations sell dangerous baby products. Click here.
3 Steps to Safety
Making an effort to protect children from dangerous products is as basic as 1, 2, 3.
Do your best to protect your child by taking these three steps:
- Learn About Recalls
Check with consumer agencies to learn about product recalls. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) and other organizations maintain current lists of recalled merchandise.
- Check your Products for Recalls
Search your home for dangerous products, and ask your childcare center, family, and friends to search for recalled items.
- Act to Keep Children Safe
Continue to be safe by learning how to stay up-to-date on product recalls, report products you think are dangerous, and help your friends and family keep their kids safe by spreading the word.
And, don’t forget to support KID, which is actively working to ensure the safety of all children’s products.