Remembering Andy Sage


This weekend, KID honors the memory of Andy Sage. Andy suffocated on a sleep positioner in January 2002. Since then, his parents have been committed to warning others of the dangers of this product. Just last year, CPSC and FDA finally warned parents about what the Sages and KID had been saying for years — sleep positioners are dangerous and an unnecessary product. After that warning, manufacturers stopped making the product (we hope!) and they are no longer available on most retailer’s shelves. But many are still in use or circulation and we urge parents to stop using this deadly product. As with bumpers, pillows and comforters, soft bedding has no place in a crib.

Andy left behind not only his parents, but a twin brother and a little sister he never got to meet. Andy’s family members have been strong supporters of KID, holding several New York based events to raise awareness. Judy Sage, his mom, serves on our board of directors. Because of the Sages’ efforts, babies now sleep safer.
And there is another legacy as well. When Andy’s grandmother died in 2008, the family directed memorial gifts to KID. With those, KID launched the Debby Sayah Grandparent Outreach Program. This project recognizes the important role grandparents play and gives them the tools they need to keep their beloved grandchildren safe.
So join us this weekend in honoring Andy’s memory. Share our life saving resources with the grandparents in your child’s life and learn more about safe sleep.
This entry was posted in grandparents, safe sleep, sleep positioner. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.