Through Safe from the Start, KID works with a variety of populations that are involved in the care of young children. We work to assist healthcare providers in communicating product safety messages to families and with childcare providers to help them monitor their facilities for unsafe products and educate parents about children’s product safety. KID conducts outreach with retailers, especially second-hand retailers, to help improve recall procedures, keep unsafe products out of their inventories and reach their customers with lifesaving safety information. KID reaches parents where they live and work with product safety and recall information. KID empowers communities by providing resources to speakers of other languages and other vulnerable populations.
Towards this end, KID conducts our workshop, Creating Safe Environments for Children, at a wide range of conferences, service facilities and community gatherings of parents and childcare providers. To disseminate KID’s safety resources, we participate in safety and health events year-round.
Contact us to inquire about workshop opportunities or upcoming events.
(2014) American Academy of Pediatrics Healthy Children Conference + Expo with SIDS IL. Teaming up with our friends at SIDS – IL, KID interacted with countless parents and caregivers to inform them on the basics of product safety and answer their safety related questions.
(2013) KID attends AAP conference KID participated in the Illinois Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) Annual Educational Conference in Downers Grove, IL. At the event, KID was able to connect with over 150 health care providers in Illinois. KID distributed educational materials and copies of our educational DVD Safe from the Start for looping in their waiting rooms.
(2013) Workshop presentation delivered in Spanish With the help of hard working Spanish language volunteers, KID was able to get our safety workshop Creating Safe Environments for Children translated into the Spanish language. Our Spanish speaking volunteers were also able to help us present this workshop to a Spanish speaking parent group at Tuesday’s Child in Chicago, Illinois and at the Strong Children, Strong Communities Conference in Chicago Heights, IL.
- (2013) Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service event In collaboration with the University of Chicago, KID was able to recruit a group of 15 University students that met on Martin Luther King Jr. Day in Lincoln Park, Illinois to distribute KID’s educational materials to family focused locations in the neighborhood. As a result of our efforts that day, hundreds of materials were distributed to children’s product retailers, professional childcare facilities, and pediatric health care centers.
- (2012) Prentice Hospital Community Baby Shower This semi- annual event attracts more than 300 new and expectant mothers from the Chicagoland area. At the event, KID distributes hundreds of educational materials particularly relevant to new moms, including safe sleep tips and product registration information.
- (2012) KID partners with Safe Kids to deliver safety workshop to teen moms KID collaborated with one of our longtime partners, Safe Kids, to present a safety workshop that focused on safe sleep to a group of teen moms in the Lawndale neighborhood of Chicago, IL. As a result of the workshop, moms were able to identify safe sleep environments for their infants and received information on how to keep up with recalled children’s products.
- (2010) KID presents at Mt. Prospect Public Library: Choosing Safe Toys for Kids: What you Need to Know On Tuesday, December 7th, a diverse audience of parents, nurse practitioners and childcare providers gathered at Mount Prospect’s public library for a presentation on children’s product safety with an emphasis on safe shopping in the holiday season.
- (2010) Workshop for ESL parents As part of our continuing partnership with Asian Human Services, in October KID’s program director gave a presentation on children’s product safety to a fresh crop of ESL students at the Chicago facility.
- (2010) Rush Medical Center’s 36th annual Preemie Picnic On Sunday, September 19th, parents of preemies attended Rush Medical Center’s annual Preemie Picnic. KID was there distributing information on unsafe and recalled children’s products. Product safety was an important topic at this event because preemies are especially vulnerable to unsafe products and safety hazards.
- (2010) Reaching parents at work Late in July, parents at the Aon center in Chicago attended a lunchtime presentation on checking for recalled children’s products and identifying other safety issues.
- (2010) Workshop for child care providers at NAFCC’s annual conference On July 17, 2010, KID’s program director, Sarah Chusid, traveled to Nashville, Tennessee to present at National Association for Family Child Care’s 20th annual conference, “Creating Harmony: Tuning in to Children through Partnerships and Professionalism”. The conference brings together child care providers from across the nation for a weekend of workshops on child-based curriculum, health issues, policies and quality improvement, among a wide variety of other issues. KID partnered with Kate Ritter of Illinois Action for Children on a presentation on children’s product safety and advocacy.
- (2010) Local community outreach As part of our continuing partnership with Asian Human Services, the Midwest’s largest pan-Asian health and human service agency, KID gave the Spanish-language edition of our workshop, “Don’t Learn About Recalls from your Child”, before patrons of the facility.
- (2010) Parent Presentation On June 16, 2010, Aon employees gathered for a Lunch n’ Learn presentation on children’s product safety in Glenview, IL.
- (2010) Old Navy Safety Day On June 5, 2010, KID staffers distributed children’s product safety resources at Old Navy’s Safety Day for Kids on North Avenue in Chicago.
- (2010) Childcare provider workshop In April, childcare providers assembled at Charlotte’s Learning Center in Waukegan, Illinois, for a presentation on how to identify and remove unsafe children’s products from child care settings.
- (2010) Parent Presentation in Arlington Heights In March, KID’s program director spoke to parents at the Arlingon Heights Memorial Library.
- (2010) Workshop at Asian Human Services On February 24, 2010, KID’s program director gave a presentation on children’s product safety for parents at Asian Human Services, the Mid-West’s largest pan-Asian health and human services facility.
- (2009) Workshop at Orr High School: Teaching young moms about children’s product safety Young mothers at Orr High School in Chicago gathered to learn about how to protect children under their care from unsafe children’s products.
- (2008) Nonprofit Youth Leadership Kids In Danger and Junior Achievement of Chicago have launched a nonprofit youth leadership project with the Simpson Academy for Young Women. The program trains teenage moms to give presentations about children’s product safety to fellow students and out in the local community. Through this innovative project, young leaders will gain exposure to nonprofit business models and develop real-world skills for professional development, while strengthening KID’s ties in the community and creating new opportunities for future outreach initiatives.
- (2006) Health Care Provider Outreach Building on connections established through the Health Care Providers Outreach Program (HCPOP), Safe from the Start increased outreach to area health facilities:
-Children’s product safety information is now included in information bags distributed to patients in Children’s Memorial Hospital.
-Created new flyer, Protect Your Child from unsafe Children’s Products for distribution in emergency rooms.
-Distributed materials and spoke to individual attendees at the Illinois Emergency Nurses Association Annual Leadership Conference.
-Developed a children’s product safety “Program in a Box” housed at Children’s Memorial Hospital and available for check-out to parents, caregivers and health care providers.
-Published article for the Illinois Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatricians’ ICAAP-lets newsletter which reaches over 2,000 pediatricians.
- (2006) Child Care Provider/Parent Outreach KID continued reaching out to communities throughout Chicago by translating its Stroller Safety brochure into Spanish. KID conducted a workshop for childcare providers in Waukegan Illinois, participated in a Back to School Fair at the Chicago Children’s Museum and an Employee Health Fair for Marriott Hotels.
- (2005) Safe from the Start Kick-Off Safe from the Start launched with an ambitious outreach drive to a wide array of over fifty organizations including pediatricians, community centers, childcare providers and parents. Later that year, SFTS released a short looping DVD for education of parents and caregivers in health care waiting rooms, childcare facilities and other targeted services. KID has distributed over 100 copies of SFTS to be used for parent education and childcare provider training facilities across the country.