According to CPSC, in 2009 alone there have been an estimated 1,900 injuries among children under the age of five due to playpens/ play yards. Based on 2005-2007 data, CPSC estimates that the average number of deaths due to playpens is 10 per year. Some products are called play yards or portable cribs interchangeably, so review the hazards from the portable crib page as well.
Since 2007, nearly 2 million play yards have been recalled, involving 1,762 incident reports and 3 deaths.
A recall or a corrective action had been issued for play yards for various reasons including:
- Risk of serious injury or death if mis-assembled
- Choking or entanglement hazards
- Head entrapment or suffocation
- Risk of injury from tipping when legs on the product become loose and separate
- Plastic tabs that lock playpen rails into the corners can break or loosen, allowing rails to turn inward, collapse, and entrap an infant