Category Archives: magnets

#FamilyVoicesFriday: Remembering Kenny

When Kenny’s older brother, Ben, received two Magnetix sets for his 10th birthday, their mother was careful to keep the toy away from 21-month-old Kenny. What she could not have known was that as the older children played with the toy, tiny magnets were breaking off of the set and falling into the carpet. Shortly after Ben’s birthday, Kenny became sick with flu-like symptoms. As his symptoms worsened, his family rushed him to the emergency room. ... Read more
Posted in child safety, Family Voices Friday, ingestion, magnets, toys | Leave a comment

Beware Holiday Ingestion Hazards

This holiday season, friends and family members will be searching for the perfect gift. It can be difficult to navigate the crowded stores and make decisions about which gifts will be the absolute best fit. At KID, our mission is to inform everyone about the risks and dangers of various products. This holiday season we want to reemphasize two products that have proven to be very dangerous for young children. Button Batteries Button batteries ... Read more
Posted in batteries, child safety, ingestion, magnets | 2 Comments

KID Celebrates Safe Toys and Gifts Month

The Holidays are officially upon us! As you celebrate this special time with your loved ones, make sure safety stays a priority. December is Safe Toys and Gifts Month, and in order to celebrate, we have pulled together some helpful tips on how to give safely this holiday season: When in doubt, use the toilet paper roll test: If a toy, or any small, breakable parts, can fit inside a toilet paper cardboard tube, it is too small for children under ... Read more
Posted in children's product safety, consumer, crib bumper pads, cribs, database, infant products, juvenile products, magnets, nursery products, saferproducts.gov, safety, toy safety | 2 Comments

#FamilyVoicesFriday: Kenny’s Story

On Thanksgiving day 2002, 21 month old Kenny died after swallowing loose magnets from his brother’s Magnetix set. Kenny fell ill with flu-like symptoms which prompted a visit to the emergency room. Within a few hours, Kenny’s heart stopped and his left lung had collapsed. The coroner told Kenny's family he had swallowed 8 magnets, which blocked his intestine and released poisonous chemicals into his body. Kenny would have been 16 years-old ... Read more
Posted in magnets, product safety, recall | Leave a comment

News reports highlight again the hidden hazards of magnets, button batteries

Recently, KID shared the stories of two young girls, Brianna and Ava that received a lot of attention online.  Both of these children were victims of safety hazards KID has been warning about for a long time but these hidden hazards were unknown to their families. See their stories below, an overview of the safety hazard in each case, and tips on what you can do to keep kids safe. Brianna- On December 28, two year old Brianna died after swallowing ... Read more
Posted in batteries, magnets, product safety, standards | 2 Comments

A Closer Look SaferProducts.gov

KID recently took a look through the SaferProducts.gov posting board to see what consumers were talking about. We noticed some interesting patterns to watch out for so you and your loved ones can stay safe from these potential hazards. There were 30 children’s product-related consumer reports in the month of December.  The incidents ranged from safety failures of strollers to toys causing bruising, cuts, or pulling out hair. There were many ... Read more
Posted in advocacy, child safety, children's product safety, consumer, cpsc, ingestion, juvenile products, Kids In Danger, magnets, product registration, product safety, saferproducts.gov, safety, stroller, toy safety | Leave a comment

Product Safety Trends for 2015

The New Year has arrived, and KID’s resolution is to continue protecting children from dangerous products. We are excited for all of the possibilities that 2015 brings for us! This year, you can expect to see KID working on…Protecting Children from Adult Hazards: There have been numerous incidents of curious children ingesting and being injured by dangerous products such as laundry pods, button batteries, and liquid nicotine. KID hopes to see ... Read more
Posted in advocacy, children's product safety, crib bumper pads, ingestion, Kids In Danger, legislation, magnets | Leave a comment

What NOT to buy this season

There are countless advertisements and promotions telling you all the things you should buy this season, but little attention is given to informing parents and caregivers about the dangerous products they should avoid purchasing over the holidays. KID has listed a few of these products to avoid below.  To see the potential safety hazards of all products, visit www.kidsindanger.org/product-hazards/Hazard: Fall Culprit: Walkers Instead of purchasing ... Read more
Posted in baby walkers, child safety, ingestion, magnets, recalls | Leave a comment