Category Archives: Family Voices Friday

#FamilyVoicesFriday: Jamie’s Story

This week, we are honoring the memory of Jamie, who was killed in July 1998 when he became trapped between his crib mattress and the mattress support. The mattress, which was purchased with his crib from Cosco, was not a standard size, and the mattress support was built using metal bars instead of a spring frame. Jamie’s weight compressed the mattress, pushing it between the bars on the crib’s platform. He became entrapped and strangled. Jamie’s ... Read more
Posted in cpsc recall, crib recall, cribs, dropside cribs, Family Voices Friday, Grief, parents, product registration | Leave a comment

#FamilyVoicesFriday: Ethan’s Story

Ethan was an energetic and curious baby who loved to explore his environment. His parents would place him in the Baby Trend Home and Roam portable crib so that he could watch and learn from everyone around him. Sadly, this week marks the 16th anniversary of Ethan’s death from this product. One day, as Ethan tried to pull himself up, the portable crib rail collapsed and strangled him. He was eight months old. This portable crib was a hand-me-down, ... Read more
Posted in cpsc, crib recall, crib safety, Family, Family Voices Friday, Grief, Uncategorized | Leave a comment

#FamilyVoicesFriday: Jared’s Story

On April 25, 1997, Jared was killed when the Evenflo Happy Camper portable crib he was in collapsed. Just 8 months old, Jared was a happy and spirited baby who wowed everyone he met with his beautiful blue eyes. The portable crib that killed Jared, which featured rotating center hinges on the top rails, should have been recalled much earlier. Jared was the 11th baby killed in this type of crib when he became trapped in the V-shape of the collapsed ... Read more
Posted in crib safety, Family, Family Voices Friday, Grief, injury data, juvenile products, play yard, product safety, recall | Tagged , , | Leave a comment

#FamilyVoicesFriday: Remembering Kenny

When Kenny’s older brother, Ben, received two Magnetix sets for his 10th birthday, their mother was careful to keep the toy away from 21-month-old Kenny. What she could not have known was that as the older children played with the toy, tiny magnets were breaking off of the set and falling into the carpet. Shortly after Ben’s birthday, Kenny became sick with flu-like symptoms. As his symptoms worsened, his family rushed him to the emergency room. ... Read more
Posted in child safety, Family Voices Friday, ingestion, magnets, toys | Leave a comment

#FamilyVoicesFriday: Riley’s Story

Raedyn and Erik were extremely protective over their 3-year-old son, Chase, and baby daughter, Riley. They taught Chase not to leave small toys where Riley could get to them, kept their kids away from foods that could be choking hazards, and thought all of the products in their home were safe. But on January 2, 2001, just about two months before her 1st birthday, Riley was killed when her Baby Trend Home and Roam portable crib collapsed. The portable ... Read more
Posted in danny keysar, Family Voices Friday, play yard, recall | Leave a comment

#FamilyVoicesFriday: Remembering Ellie

In December of 2002, 13 month-old Ellie lost her life when the changing table attachment on her play yard fell on her. This post is dedicated to Ellie, who would have been 15 years old today. KID wants to honor her family’s strength and to highlight that unsafe, inadequately tested products continue to pose deadly consequences to our children. Ellie’s play yard had no locking mechanism on its changing table attachment. When the changing table ... Read more
Posted in child safety, Family, Family Voices Friday, graco, infant products, juvenile products, play yard, safe sleep, standards | Leave a comment

Abigail, Danny L, Jamie, Liam (Over 12 Million Cribs Recalled since 2007)

More infants die every year in cribs than from any other nursery product. There are many reasons why a child can die or be injured by a crib– today we are highlighting the stories of four.Abigail’s crib rails came loose in a corner, causing her hand to pinch and get caught in the gap. The bolt had been drilled in too close to the edge and broken out. Thankfully, Abigail did not sustain any major injuries and is alive and well today. (Read her ... Read more
Posted in child safety, children's product safety, crib recall, crib safety, cribs, cribs; recall; safety, cribs; safety; product safety, drop-side, dropside cribs, Family Voices Friday, product safety, recall, safety | Leave a comment

Trevor (What to Know About Infant Swings)

One fateful day in April, Trevor fell asleep in his Lil Napper swing at his child care home and was tragically strangled. He became entangled in the shoulder harness straps that buckled between the legs. The swing had been recalled 5 years earlier but the news had unfortunately not reached the child care provider. (Read his full story here) Make sure to stay updated on recalls by going to www.cpsc.gov, as companies do not always use methods to reach ... Read more
Posted in child safety, children's product safety, Family Voices Friday, infant products, product safety, recall, recall effectiveness, safety | Leave a comment