Grandparents are role models, teachers, and caregivers in many capacities. Today we celebrate all the love, care, and hard work grandparents put into raising their grandchildren. At KID, we recognize and honor the wealth of knowledge that grandparents have regarding caregiving.
A good outing or activity with the grandkids is a perfect way to celebrate your care, love, and contributions to family. We’ve come up with a list of activities to do, and how to make sure your grandkids stay safe during them!
- Take a trip to the zoo with new car seat! A zoo trip is always a great way for children to explore new things about the world, and for grandparents to spend quality time with grandkids. When you go, make sure you have an up-to-date car seat that has not been previously in an accident. Car seats do expire as safety standards evolve, usually after 6 years and will not protect children if they’ve previously been involved in an accident. Learn more about car seat safety and the NHTSA guidelines for safe car seats on KID’s blog. Watch KID’s Quick Tip video to learn more.
- Take them to a local thrift shop or garage sale for a special grandparent shopping trip! Remember that it is okay to buy or use secondhand products with your grandchildren, but go through our secondhand product checklist to ensure that any used products have not been recalled or deemed dangerous.
- Spend a day at the park and then take a long, relaxing nap. Go outside and enjoy the fall weather we’ve been having outside with your grandkids, and then when you get home enjoy some quality relaxation time on your special day. When putting your grandkids to sleep, remember to follow to ABC’s of safe sleep. In order to prevent suffocation or Sudden Unexpected Infant Death (SUID), the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), recommends that babies sleep alone, on their back, and in a crib that hasn’t been recalled and meets current standards. Find more safe sleep tips here. Before use, check that all cribs have been manufactured after June 28th, 2011, play yards or portable cribs after February 28th, 2013, and bassinets after April 23rd. 2014.
- Watch a fun TV show or movie with your grandkids! While you are watching, you can register your grandchild’s durable products, such as cribs, high chairs, or strollers. This is the only way manufacturers will contact you directly in the event of a recall. A list of online registration pages can be found here. You can also spend this time to learn about product recalls. Go to gov to check if any of the products in your home have been recalled and how to either get a replacement, repair kit, or refund.
- Make a donation to KID in honor of your grandkids. Support KID’s vital safety work. Your contributions will enable KID to sustain our programming and increase outreach to educate consumers on children’s product safety and recalls.
View KID’s brochure, Are your Grandkids SAFE? (available in English and Spanish) for children’s product safety information tailored for grandparents. To learn more about KID’s outreach efforts to grandparents , visit our Grandparent’s Page.
Sign up to receive KID’s monthly email alerts, which include a list of all of the children’s products recalled each month, as well as other product safety news. Follow KID on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram for more safety updates.